The GB – EU Border: Key information

Information on operating across the GB – EU border is spread far and wide across a number of government websites.
To help operators navigate through this information we’re providing links to many sources of information as possible, below.

Main Government Information for Hauliers about the Border
Hauliers handbook

Border Operator model


Advice & Information sites Including COVID Testing
Rules around COVID Testing will change over time. Please ensure you keep up to date.

Kent Access Permit

Road Transport Permits (ECMT or Bilateral)


Other Customs Information
HMRC Inland Border Facilities sites

Pre-Declaration Shipments

Refer to the Border Operating Model above

Common Transit Convention (CTC)

Refer to the Border Operating Model above

TIR Carnet Scheme

Available through RHA or Logistics UK (FTA) following an application and authorisation process.

ATA Carnets (For goods that will leave temporarily and return later)

Other information for Hauliers
Trailer Registration scheme


Information for drivers
Driving Licences (International Drivers Permits are not needed for UK drivers in the EU)

UK Passports must be valid for 6 months when entering the EU

European Health Insurance Card (new Global Health Card)

EU Settlement Scheme (For Non-UK Drivers)

Frontier Workers Permit (For Non-UK Drivers)


Information for Traders
Traders need to understand the processes required to import or export goods

GB EORI Number

Goods that require specialist documentation
Plant and animal goods, hazardous material, tobacco & alcohol all require special procedures.  We recommend starting with the Border Operating Model initially to find out basic information.

Should you find dead or better links or new information sources please contact